October 28, 2011

Finished Prints!

These are the four finished prints I've been working on.
They're all about 10cm x 10cm in size and cut from soft-cut lino. Printed with Derivan Phthalo Blue block ink on hand marbled watercolour paper. :)
I like how they turned out!

Also, this is the coloured print that appeared in a photo from the previous post, as a dear friend asked me to post a better pic of it.
The print is from an unused lino cut that I had initially made for the above series but found it didnt' match and was a little too big.
Printed with Derivan Green Deep block ink on cream mixed media paper then coloured with watercolour pencils. <3


October 26, 2011

Lino Cutting My Way

I've been working on some prints for a mini prints competition.
I don't really expect anything to come of it but I've used the competition excuse to boot myself into making a series of related lino prints.
Here's an example of how I've been working - mind you, this isn't strictly the 'right way' to do this, I'm self taught here so this is just my way of doing things.

There are two ways I usually start:
Create a drawing on paper or draw the image directly onto the lino.

If I've gone with the pen and ink drawing then I usually trace the image onto tracing paper and transfer it to the lino block.

I begin by cutting out all around the outside of the linework with a small v-gauge.

Then I cut around the inside of the linework and start cutting away the filled white within the linework using the small v and u shaped cutters.

I cut away the excess lino with a blade.

Then begin cutting away the area outside the image.

 Once finished cutting I gather my materials and choose my papers - this also includes some cartridge paper for test prints.

Test my print while making small adjustments to the lino cut between prints until I'm happy with it.

Create my artist proofs before printing the final prints.

And that's it! :D


October 22, 2011

Class is in Session

I've started teaching some basic bookbinding at Sarbe Invitations and Paper on the Gold Coast.
At the moment it's pamphlet stitch and a little ledger binding, focusing on the basics of binding, paper grain, materials and techniques as well as decorating and experimenting with design.

Some of the finished products:

I'm highly enjoying the classes, even though I still get seriously nervous before each session!
Later in the year I'll be teaching a slightly more advanced binding, on tapes, as some people have expressed a desire to create something as a gift or journal for the new year.

Heheh, never thought when I started teaching myself about 2 and a half years ago, that I'd eventually be teaching others. XD



October 3, 2011

A Long September

September hasn't been a very good month for me, it's thrown all sorts of nasties my way; family leaving, work problems, money problems, creativity problems.
Actually, this year has been more trouble than it's worth and though there have been some bright spots, they're very hard to focus on over the rest of the shit.
But September is finally over and one can only hope for the best from here.
I'll begin October with a few things I've been working on (or trying to!).

I've actually got quite a few things to show since my last update, unfortunately, I'm currently at my parents house and the only images I have to show are some digital sketches and scans from the Art House Co-ops sketchbook project, which just happened to be the only things on my laptop XD

This is Zien. Heheh, haven't drawn one of my characters in a while...

These are the most recent bindings I've managed. It's been a little slower than i'd like but I like to hope I've improved, at least. 
(sorry about the photos for these, they were taken with my phone camera at my parents house -__-)
Case Bindings:

Exposed Spine Binding:
Binding with exposed spine on kimono fabric tapes, waxed linen thread, Japanese papers and bead embellishment.
I rarely make exposed spine books any more, I find the construction, though pretty and flat-opening, a little less resilient, flimsier, if you will, than casebound. It's probably not as bad as I make it sound, but I like the sturdy feel and structure of a completely cased in book. Still, these kinds of bindings have their place, and though it takes me a lot longer to make than a casebound, it's still a satisfactory feeling when it's done and always a striking result.

The paper I used for the bookblock for this particular book is called Como; a gorgeous, creamy, heavyweight, wet-media paper. It takes watercolour washes, inks, markers and all sorts of dry media. It has a light grain and is thick enough that each signature is a single leaf. Love.

Ledger Binding:
I'm going to be teaching a bookbinding class tomorrow starting with simple pamphlet bindings and ledger bindings like the one below. Hopefully, if there's enough interest, the classes will grow and I'll start teaching a few of the more advanced bindings that I know.
I'm actually pretty nervous, I've never taught adult classes before and being a self taught binder, I just hope people don't blast me for my methods which may not all be 'official'! XD

I'll really try to keep this updated more often, I've been doing a fair bit of experimentation with natural media lately; printmaking in particular, which I'm eager to show.
Thanks for sticking with me!


Other Relevant Links

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs