January 30, 2009

My faith, you has lost it.

Right.
So I said it wouldn't bother me considering it was work done at a low price for a local, but it does bother me now. I can't help it.

Mid way through last year I was asked to do some illustration/design work for a fellow near where I live. He said he couldn't pay me much and I was happy to help out for a lower price than I normally charge for graphic design or illustration work.
So we made an accord but no paperwork was every actually exchanged. I took his word for it.
Mistake number one.

So I drew the illustrations to his specifications; he wanted cartoony/childish and, though not my strongest area, he was happy with the sketches and where they were going.
I managed to crank out to his very detailed specs, 5 illustrations, including a cartoon logo design and a fully prepared brochure for which I even had to write my own copy (text) for.

I could tell the brochure wasn't quite to his liking, he said it was too corporate (ie. too professional, in my opinion) and asked if I could give him my source files so he could "mess around with them".
I, trustingly and stupidly, did.
Mistake number two. And a doosie this one was.

I never heard from him again.

Today I was having lunch at a local eatery with my mum when, lo and behold, there staring me in the face was my work. Or at least a hideously cannibalised version of it.
He's selling the brochure for two bucks a pop, it looks terrible, completely amateur and no where am I credited for the work he so kindly took, used, destroyed and is now making money from.
I was shaking so hard I couldn't eat my lunch.

I know this is mainly my fault but damn does it ever destroy faith in others when you're blind sided like this. :(

Here's a link to his website, which also uses some of my graphics which he so nicely edited, chopped and messed up royally.

Thief?

I know I should confront him and ask for payment for services rendered, godknows I spent a good amount of time trying to get the exact cartoony feel down with all the illustrations, as well as on the brochure which he didn't use, but all I want to do is forget about him and how bad I feel right now.
Maybe one day, when i've cooled down a little, I will, in the meantime, I have to live with the knowledge that the man across the street ripped me off for been a gullible idiot.
Lesson well learned.

:(

1 comment:

  1. Yes you should confront him and quote copyright law at him (do your research on the specifics of copyright law to ensure you sound very well informed). Send him a very formal looking letter.

    Tell him he has 48hours to either remove the images and cease using them or pay you xx for copyright ownership/licence to use them. Include a stamped addressed envelope and tell him precisely what amount to place in it.

    Tell him that if payment isn't made or the content not removed within 48hours you will be taking legal action with 'your legal representatives'.

    I guarantee payment is likely to follow shortly.

    ReplyDelete

Other Relevant Links

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs